Central Limestone School
1954 #316 Limestone-Walters
District # 65
North Limestone School
1958 #318 1969 part #322 Elmwood part #324 Peoria Heights part #318
Hedge Row School (Monroe School)
Pleasant Valley School
District 62 is located on Farmington Road in what is known as Pleasant Valley, so called because of its beautiful and pleasant scenery.
Just below the school are a church and parsonage. These buildings were at one time located on Plank Road. Some years ago they were moved to the present location which seemed to be much more satisfactory. At present there is a large congregation.
Plank Road, which up until fifteen years ago was constructed of railroad planks, is located just a short distance from the schoolhouse. There is to be a paved road between Pottstown and Bartonville and crossing Pleasant Valley, which is to be know as a scenic drive
Two railroads run almost directly through this community, namely, the C.B. & @Q. and the Northwestern.
Few people have lived here for more than a period of ten years. Some of the oldest residents are the Swords and the Jones families. Both are well known throughout Peoria County. Members of the Sword family donated the land on which the school and the church are now located.
Mr. Swords built a store just south of Kickapoo Creek. It was the first store in the community, but since it has been made into a dwelling house. Later Mr. Swords built a second store and filling station located approximately two miles south of the old site.
This is known chiefly as a mining center. A mile south of the school is the Hilltop Mine, from which many tons of coal is mined daily. Some corn is raised. Since Pleasant Valley is located two miles south of Peoria, many of its residents are employed within the city.
In 1924 at the time of the flood in this part of Illinois, Kickapoo Creek overflowed. Much property and many cattle were destroyed.
The first schoolhouse was built somewhat similar to the one we have at present. The doors and windows were old fashioned shutters with a bar across as a lock. A huge wood stove took the place of a furnace.
In 1900 this building was destroyed by fire. People immediately set to work to erect a new building, which consisted of one large room. Recently a small room has been annexed to serve as a classroom.
The present enrollment is sixty pupils with two teachers in charge. We hope that within the next year or two a new two-room schoolhouse will be built.
The first school in this community was built about a quarter of a mile west of the present location of the school, which is in Limestone Township, on what is known as the Farmington Road.
If was in 1843 that a few of the leading citizens joined together in a “log rolling bee”, which resulted in the erection of our first educational institution. It was, indeed, crude as all beginnings are bound to be, but from it grew our present school system. Few were the books (chiefly the Bible) and small was the amount of furniture
The first teacher on record is Robert Borland, who, beginning 1852, taught for several years. A Miss Walker followed him and taught for a salary of $30.00 per month for the nine winter months and $25.00 per month for the three summer months.
A few years later the people decided that the log school no longer answered the purpose, so a frame schoolhouse was built on the present location. This school was named after a prominent citizen and was called the Jones School. This served until 1892.
In May, 1931, the people voted in an issue to remodel the school. Although this improvement marked the passing the old time country school and in its place appears a modern school, where country boys and girls will have the advantages of those in the city. Our building now includes a full basement (playroom and dining room), a kitchen, with gas and running water, a new furnace, inside lavatories, electric lights, and a fine library room.
Several more classroom were added in the 1950's and more rooms added about 1962. Citizens banded together to build a gymnasium, the Norwood Youth Building, on the school property. The money, some materials, and all the labor were donated by the community. It was not strictly a school building, but students used it for school functions. The latest addition and a portion of the rest of the building were severely damaged by a tornado in Sept. 1965. Classes were held for a time in various buildings in the neighborhood including the Norwood Menonite Church. The old building had to be demolished in the wake of the tornado. The Youth Building was also gone. The replacement building at 6251 W. Farmington Road was practically all new, except for several classrooms.
On January 1, 1990 annexation with Bellevue #152 became law after a law suit initiated by some Norwood people to stop it failed. Beginning in 1990-91, grades K-3 from both schools will attend the school in Bellevue and grades 4-8 will attend the school on Farmington Road. The school will be known as Norwood School District #63.
The reader can see that our citizens have made their school something to be proud of, and when the next higher step in educational methods comes, you will hear them say, “We believe in the education of our children and we are ready to advance with modern civilization.”
Central Limestone School
From records which a few of the old settlers of Central Limestone School #64 of Peoria County have saved through the years, it is learned that a school was erected about 1849 and was run as a private institution until 1858. This school, as oft described in literature, was the typical little red schoolhouse; only this school was constructed with logs and was unpainted. The teacher boarded free among the families who had children in the school and received a salary of about $20.00 to $25.00 per month. This building was erected about one-half mile south of the present school site on the south side of the Smithville Road.
In 1857 land was purchased from James Stratton for $12.00. This land is the present site of #64. Upon this land William Smallenberger built the school building, which served until 1884 when it was sold to J. Melchin and moved to his farm to be used as machine shop. S.T. McConnell was the first teacher in the new building.
The present school building was erect4ed by EG.G. Willms (?) at a cost of about $900.00. This building was built in the summer of 1884 and was one of the finest rural school buildings at that time. Even after thirty-three years of service it needed only slight alterations to meet the requirements of the present sanitation law. Since 1917 any number of improvements have been made to keep abreast with the times. The library has been enlarged and the maps have been renewed as often as any changes were made in them.
On S. Cameron Lane between Smithville and Plank Rd. (116) past Middle Rd. and a short distance past Johnson Farm Rd. E. side of the road.
The first school in what was District #4, now is district #65, and is known as the Walters School was built in 1850. An old Englishman by the name of Cooley Curtis donated the land, helped make the bricks, and helped haul them so that the district might have a school. The structure was about eighteen feet wide and twenty feet long.
The building was heated by a small cannon stove, which set in the center of the room and dispersed most of its heat up the chimney. The walls of the room were plastered and painted a maroon color.
The seats and desks were made of pine boards and painted gray. There were two long rows of seats on each side of the building and two short rows cross ways in the center. The middle rows were larger and had desks in front of them. The old and more advance students used these. The front row of seats in this center section had no desk in front of it and was used for a recitation bench.
In 1892, when this structure of brick had become quite dilapidated and was leaning so dangerously to one side that it required props to keep it from falling, the district voted to build a new school. A frame building was building was erected thirty feet long and twenty-two feet wide and modernly equipped to meet the requirements of that time.
In 1917 the windows were rearranged causing the light to enter from the west in compliance with the law. The following year a new heater was purchased and located in the northwest corner of the building. At the time the heater was purchased, it was necessary to build a new chimney.
Church and Sunday School were held in the old brick building from the time it was built until torn down. For a few years later the new building was erected this served the community in the same way but with the coming of automobiles, interest became lacking and services were discontinued.
In a little log cabin near the viaduct on the Bartonville grade to Peoria, the children of this section of the country first attended school. This was a private school and only those who were able to pay to pay the teacher something for his work were allowed to go.
In 1840 a new log schoolhouse was erected near what is now John’s Mine at the top of Brown’s Hill. This was called the Coal Hollow School and was also frequently used as a church. In 1864 a one-room frame building was erected at the bottom of the hill. This school had wooden benches for desks and a large blackboard across the front of the room. The children of the Ball, Collier, Smith Bishop, and Lane families attended school here. Among the earliest teachers that we can find record of, are James Malone and I.D. Beal who taught in the school up the hollow.
A two-room building was erected in 1884 on the present site. The school at that time had an enrollment of about seventy-five pupils. About this time also there was a division of the district resulting in the formation of the Oak Grove and Hedgerow Districts, or at least, territory was taken from Bartonville District and added to those.
Villa Eaton was teacher in the primary grades and Annia Sneblin in the upper grades about this time.
In 1897 the building was remodeled and two more rooms added, with Miss Taylor, Miss Ball (Mrs. B. Ricketts), and Mrs. Dawson as teachers.
In 1906 this building was moved away and a new eight-room brick building was erected. Some of the school board members at that time were Spencer and William Barton, Henry Gerdes, and Frank Collier.
A few years later another division of the district was made, resulting in the sending of a number of the former Oak Grove pupils to the Bartonville School
In 1926 a new addition was made to the building. Eight more rooms and a large modern gymnasium were built. These improvements have greatly added to the efficiency of the school system.
At the present time there is an enrollment of 20 pupils and a faculty of 13 teachers in the Bartonville Public School.
In 1960, Bartonville Grade School added a new auditorium, with four classrooms being converted the old auditorium. Be cause the new auditorium was two stores high, the balcony was used for new office, at faculty lunchroom, a music room and storage space.
Bartonville Bicentennial Commission. Heritage Committee
North Limestone School
Rufus C. Goodrich made a grant of one acre of land for a school on November 3, 1843. The claim was filed February 1953. by the following board of directors: E. hall, Peter Griffin, and John Cameron.
N order that a clear title might be given, a warrantee deed was made January 8, 1874. It read, “In consideration of $35.00 Rufus E. Goodrich and Marie Goodrich, his wife, to Daniel Story, Joseph Doubet, James Armstrong, and their successors one acre of land for a school, District 7 Limestone Township.
The first real schoolhouse was built about 1855. It was a one-room red brick structure. This was replaced in 1871 by the present building, which is a frame structure.
The present building was remodeled in 1925 when a full basement was built and a heating plant installed. Enough space was left for a large playroom.
Among the first teachers of his school was Jenny Walker, who taught in the winter of 1881 (?) for a salary $26.00 per month. A very early enrollment lists 58 pupils and the teacher’s salary $28,00 per month. In the early sixties a singing and spelling school was organized, the former under the direction James Cameron. A Literary Society was organized in the early seventies. One who greatly helped with this work was an early teacher, Annie Johnson.
The enrollment for the 1930-31 year was fifteen and teacher’s salary $100.00 per month with all janitor service done by one of the school directors.
Oak Grove School
According to the information obtained, the Scholl family was the first settlers in this area. These fine families settled here in 1835, and were the proud possessors on one hundred sixty acres of land. Soon after the coming of Mr. School, three other families put in their appearance, the Roelfs, the Herman, and the Petersons. Mr. Roelf’s son John still lives in this community. He and his people came up the Mississippi and the Illinois River in 1845.
A man by the name of Thome deeded a half-acre of land to the community for a public school Mr. Trial, another resident, deeded half an acre for a playground. The people called the first school the Trial School, but a dispute arose between the donors of the land. Soon afterwards, the name of the school was changed Oak Grove, perhaps to settle the argument. The name was suggested because of an Oak Grove on the premises. This school was built in 1860 and it was known as District 8.
The Peoria State Hospital was built in this region in 1900. The first patients were received in the hospital then a one-room structure, in 1902. Mr. School and Mr. Herman sold lots to attendants, which resulted in the building of several homes. Soon a semi-organized town known as “Light City” was established. In 1922 the old schoolhouse burned and in its place another school was built. This building was a two-room cement structure, but, due to the growth of the community, the building has been subdivided making one more room. This necessitated the addition of another teacher.
Bartonville Bicentennial Commission. Heritage Committee
In 1922 the old frame schoolhouse burned to the ground and the students attended classes in a building at Peoria State Hospital until another building could be built. The new two-room concrete block building was later doubled with the addition of two more rooms, and again was double in the early 1940 when four more rooms were added, making this a two-story building. Subsequently, other ground level additions were added in 1954 and 1958. The old two-story, eight-room building was demolished in 1970.
They had grown so fast that, by the late 1950’s, it was apparent that more space would be required. Land was purchased on West Garfield Avenue and Oak Grove West was built. This modern building houses the sixth, seventh, and eighth grades, with the lower grades housed at Oak Grove East.
Pleasant Hill School
The Pleasant Hill School was organized April 20,1860 under District Number 9. The property, which is the northwest quarter of Section 13 or Limestone Township 8, North Range 7, East of the Principal Meridian, was purchased from Aquila and Mary Moffat for the sum of one hundred dollars. The first schoolhouse was a two-room brick building which was constructed in 1960. In 1900 this structure was replaced by a four-room brick building. There were few early social organizations, although Sunday School was held in the auditorium. In the spring of 1919 a Parent-Teacher’s Association was organized. This organization has been very beneficial to the school. Improvements have been made from time to time. From 1900 to 1920 the school board engaged three teachers: since then four teachers have been employed. Within the last ten years the school board has improved the heating system by installing a larger boiler; the system of electric lighting has been changed from a Delco plant to the Central Illinois Light Company; maps and supplementary and reference books have been purchased; the dining room has been completed and furnished; a water system has been installed; a restroom has been built; and the enlargement of the play
ground has been made by buying one half acre of land from George Day.
This property, which is west of the original school ground, was purchased in the spring of 1930. Playground equipment such as a sliding board, set of six swings and teeter-totters, and a basketball outfit have been purchased by the Parent-Teachers’ Association between the years of 1922 and 1930. This organization also bought a keystone lantern and slides, reading circle books, piano and supplementary books. These improvements have placed the school above the average country school.
John Hayes Peoria County Superintendent of Schools 1930
In 2001 a new building was built just south of the gymnasium, which was retained. The old building was demolished, but the archway from the east side of the building was saved and placed in the new structure. Cost of the new facility was about $3,025,205. In 2001 District 69’s enrollment was around 250 students
Hedge Row School
The Hedge Row School in District #70, Limestone Township, was organized in 1865. For some reason Hedge Row was the last school in the township to be organized.
The first schoolhouse was located about three quarters of a mile north of the Smithfield Road. The building was small. There were three windows on each side. The flooring was plain with six inch boards not meant for sliding on.
The desks were of the social type. Two pupils sat together and may have learned together. The desktops could be raised on hinges. When the desk lid was up there was no telling what happened behind it. Do you wonder if they were writing poetry? Nevertheless, these were the good old days that made impressions upon many lads. No doubt double seating had good benefits. The lids could be locked.
The first schoolhouse was built by Rudy Amsler. Mr. Amsler and Mr. Bentz were early directors. The name Hedge Row was given to the school by Mr. B.R. Bruninga. Since the disappearance of the hedges and drifting of snow, Snow Drift might make a suitable successor.
Some of the early data is as follows:
September 27, 1887 Julius Derges, repairs and improvements, $13.75;
February 18, 1889, sale of old furniture, $1.95;
November 28, 1891, Net receipts of a social $4.62.
Mr. John Daily was one of the early teachers. He taught at the Hedge Row School in 1886 for $40.00 a month.
The first building has been moved to Theodore Van Brunning’s farm, a short distance south of its old site. It is now used for a garage and storehouse. How that the building has changed its duties, do you suppose it would be proper think for it to made a brief report of services done and observations made. Perhaps one report would read for service, “furnished a good shelter from rain and snow but the wind swept through me like a corn row.” Perhaps one observation would be boys in overalls or tight Sunday clothes: girls in gingham dresses and pigtails hanging down their backs. No doubt some boys forgot their verses and others stayed to account for special carvings.
The present building is located one quarter of a mile north of the old school site. It is situated beside the town hall. The trees now standing in the former site are all that are left to mark the spot. They now shade the highway for weary travelers.
We are indebted to Mr. Ojemann, the Limestone Township treasurer for most of the foregoing history.
The original site of Monroe School was at the northeast corner of what is now Greater Peoria Airport (north/south runway). This site was originally the location of the Limestone Township Town Hall, which was built in 1881, moved in 1935, and sold in 1938.
The cornerstone from the old Town hall was opened by Parent-Teachers Association of the school and replaced in one corner of the new school, known as “Hedge Row School” in October 3,1938.
Over the years, this school experienced rapid growth due to the great number of homes built to the immediate north and east side of the airport which this school district served. Several detached wooden buildings were located on the grounds to handle the expanding population until a new brick addition was built onto the original frame building.
The school was renamed “Monroe” in honor of the Monroe family which owned part of the land now occupied by the airport.
It had been recognized for a number of years that Monroe School was located in a very dangerous place. One runway of the airport was located adjacent to the school building and was in the flight path of another numerous takeoffs and landings daily. The Board of Education was able to purchase land on Cisna Road immediately east of the Air National Guard Hanger and a modern fireproof building was built. Several additions have been made since.
Bartonville Bicentennial Commission. Heritage Committee
Coal Hollow School building moved when new school built on the site and renamed Bartonville School after Mr. Barton.
Norwood School 1880
1965 SEPTEMBER 14...F3 (WIND SPEEDS 158-206 MPH) TORNADO TRACKED
THROUGH DOWNTOWN PEORIA BETWEEN 230 PM AND 300 PM. THE TORNADO
STARTED WEST OF TOWN AND SEVERELY DAMAGED NORWOOD SCHOOL THEN
MOVED THROUGH THE MADISON PARK AREA INCLUDING THE SHOPPING
CENTER. IT THEN CONTINUED OVER THE BLUFF DOWN WESTERN AVENUE.
IT STRUCK AND DAMAGED WHAT USED TO BE THE HIRMAM WALKERS
DISTILLERY AND THEN THE STOCKYARDS. 30 PEOPLE WERE INJURED.
.Pleasant Valley Middle School
(309) 679-0634 The are currently three schools in the district,
3314 W Richwoods Ave.
Pleasant Valley Elementary School
4623 W Red Bud Dr.
Pleasant Valley North Building
4607 W Elmwood Dr.
Oak Grove School
By Barb Niehaus 11-7-1990
From its beginning as a two-room wooden schoolhouse at the conrer of Pfeiffer and Lafayette roads, Oak Grove School District #68 has seen many expansions to it physical plant. Not only were there additions to buildings, ar4eas were divided to provide more classroom space, and finally the classed were split between two sites about a mile apart. According to two short histories available at the school, the fist building was built on the site in 1860. Mr. Thome donated on-half acre for the building and Mr. Trial another half-acre for playground. The building was a two-room wooden structure that was originally named the Trial School. Apparently a dispute arose between the gentlemen who donated the land over that name and it was changed to Oak Grove because of the large oaks on the property. Mr. Trial wasn’t completely forgotten. A cemetery just south of the school on Lafayette Rd. still bears his name. The original school served until December 17, 1920 Grace Lauterbach Miller remembers that cold blustery, windy afternoon well. She was in third grade. Miss Rose Ricca who taught the upper grades came into the room and said, “The schoolhouse is on fire. Leave your books and just go.” Immediately after everyone was out of the building the floor collapsed into the basement. Miss Ricca, by going to the basement to find out why smoke was filling the school, had prevented a great tragedy. The other teacher was Miss Francis Withman from Chillicothe. There was no fire department at that time and nothing could be done to save the school. The furnace overheated and started a fire in the floor joist. Mrs. Miller said despite the teacher’s orders she save her books and coat. She doesn’t know how. She was too shocked to be scared. Three other Lauterbach children, Albert, Emma, and Irene were in school at the time. All seven children of Margaretha Tholen and Claus Lauterbach attended the school. Mrs. Lauterbach herself had been a pupil there. Mrs. Miller believes that eight to 10 grandchildren and some great-grandchildren have also been students there. After the first structure burned, the children attended school in a building near the nurses’ quarters at the Peoria State Hospital for the remainder of the year. In 1921 a two-room concreted block building was opened. According to Delmar Lauterbach, who was student there from 1929 to 1937 that was soon divided to make three rooms. The teachers were Miss Gross and Mrs. Collins. Mr. Newell Morrow was principal and teacher of the upper grades. According to Lauterbach, Mr. Morrow’s size alone kept the kids in line. He was six feet, six inches tall. During those years there were no organized sports. Competition between the various county schools was on an informal basis with the emphasis on fun. There were, however, programs for almost every holiday, especially after Miss Morse was hired as a par-time music director the mid-30’s. The emphasis was on learning and work at home. There wasn’t as much leisure time as there is now, according to Lauterbach. Carrie Schultz Heitman was in the first class to graduate in 1935 from the first addition to the block building. In 1933 Claus Lauterbach was awarded the bid for an auditorium and meeting room to be added to the back of the original building. The cost was $4,449.60. About 1943 a second floor was built over the existing building.
Russ Trap who went to Oak Grove between 1935-1940 remembers the four-room block building and Mr. Newell. His Eula Trapp, served on the school board and Maxine Leiter’s father was president of the first PTA. He also remembered Mrs. Gross and two other teachers, Miss Logan and Mrs. Wright.
Another multiply and divide situation took place in 1954. A new gymnasium was added to the east of the original structure and classrooms were added within the gym structure as funds became available. With an ever-increasing enrollment a second addition of five classrooms and toilet areas were added east of this in 1958.
The size of the school and the number of students nearly overwhelmed Wanda Heitzman Thompson when she transferred from Hollis to Oak Grove in the fourth grade. Hollis at the time was a wooden building a Lafayette and Tuscarora Road with a very small enrollment. She described the principal at Oak Grove, Velma Meyers, as a stern lady with a soft heart. Meyers was principal from 1952 to 1964. Under her direction Oak Grove accommodated the students from Walters Grade School when it burned in 1954 until other arrangements could be made.
Wanda Thompson and husband, Don, both graduated from oak Grove in 1960 and 1957 respectively. Their two children, Kevin and Dawn, are “81 and “85 graduates. Don has served on the school board for seven years but will be resigning soon because the family is moving from the district. They remember the rivalry in sports between Oak Brove and the other schools, especially Monroe. Wanda was cheerleader and Don play basketball and softball.
When enrollment increased from 274 in 1954 to 664 in just six years, eight classrooms, an office, a library, restrooms and a storage area were constructed in 1960. More land was purchased to enlarge the playground. Yet the school still could not accommodate the ever-growing student population.
Further expansion was not possible at the original site. Land on Pfeiffer Road was purchased the Peter Krus. The new building was constructed on 11.5 acres near Limestone High School in 1962. Oak Grove West had eight classrooms, an office, and cafeteria space for the upper grades. A gymnasium with shower and locker rooms, library and AV rooms added in 1964. Four more classrooms were added in 1967. When it opened for 7th and 8th grade students, Richard Wagner was named principal under Superintendent Velma Meyers, Wagner who is deceased went on to become superintendent of the district. The building currently houses grades six, seven, and eight. At the original site, Oak Grove East, problems with meeting laws on building construction caused the original building to be town down. An eight-room structure with a corridor connecting it to the 1960 addition was constructed in 1969. The rest of the building was brought up to safety code during that time. A music room and storage area was added to Grove West at the same time. From 1954 to 1970 there were nine separate building projects. The enrollment went from 274 students to 898. In 1970 the district employed 40 teachers in two buildings with 34 classrooms as compared to 12 teachers in eight rooms in 1954. No major projects have taken place that time according to the school office. There have been some remodeling and changes classrooms. The present superintendent is Stephen Heath and Marc DeVore is principal at Oak Grove West. Today 505 students are taught by 35 teachers.
By Barb Niehaus 11-7-1990
Oak Grove School Graduating Class 1945
1st Row: Walter Davis, Fred Krus, Sheril Whether, Carl Hartreil, Delbert Bressler, Robert Hunter, Richard Lauterbach Mrs. Lester Teacher
2nd Row: Darvin Bouchey, Donald Thmos, Rosemary Milington, Bob Smith, Donna Askew, Dick Smith, David Bruner, George Fawcett
3rd Row: Edith Light, Doris Bomhold, Corrine Bruninga, Evelyn Multinax, Sue Robley, Edna Light.
Thank you to Donna Askew Worvig for sharing this picture.
Oak Grove School Grade 6 1938
Front Row: Earl Walslag, Donald Vandergriff, Eleanor Petri, Maryann McMullen, Charlene Johnson, Marjorie Prell, Evelyn Vandergriff, Earl Derfaine, and James Ray.
Back Row: Mike Guppy, Clarence Parr, Earl Dornburger, Charles Wilson, John Light, Walter Huchtons, Milton Frost
Mrs. Logan Teacher
Oak Grove Grade School Graduation 1940
Earl Walslag, Earl Dornburger, Milton Frost, Eleanor Petri, Charlene Johnson, Marjorie Prell, Clarence Parr, Donald Vandergriff, James ?
Paul Brunner, Charles Wilson, Maryann McMullen, Loraine Lammenil, DeEtta Caldwell, Harold Bruininga, John Light, Mr. Nevill Morrow Teacher and Principal
Thank you to Charlene Johnson Barnewolt for sharing pictures.
Oak Grove School Grade 7& 8 October 9, 1940
Carl Defrine, Carl Donnbergher, Leon Peters, Gene Hampton, Chester Guppy, Robert Peters, Donald Vandergriff
Row 2: Evelyn Vandergriff, Dorothy Evell, Norma Wright, Loraine Lamville, Charlene Johnson, Dorothy Wright, Nathan Guppy, Katherine Root
Beth Robely, Twila Verdan
Row 3: Carl Weslor, Detea Colwell, Maryann McMullen, Fern Helmick, Emma Hartsal, Reba Butler, Eleanor Petri, Marjorie Prell, Milton Frost, Jack Smith
Top Row: Mr. Morrow, Clarence Penn, John Light, Paul Brunner, Harold Bruninga, Chales Wilson, Kennth Brown, Loren Medkemp, James Hampton, Walter Hutchions
This is a picture of a building at Camp Ellis near Ellisville in Fulton County. After the war the building was moved to Hedge Row to accomodate the growing number of pupils enrolled in the school.
Hedge Row was changed to Monroe School in 1946.
Monroe School 2009